Student Global Summits provide a global platform for improving multi and intercultural communication and understanding between students which is part of the mission of the International Association for Student Affairs and Services (IASAS). The goal of the summits is to bring student leaders from different parts of the world together to discuss student governance, leadership, social justice or other topics of shared interest.
The first summit which was around the theme leadership was held in Montreal Canada March 4-6, 2016 in partnership with the College Student Educators International (ACPA) and Lead365. Each year 25 student leaders are chosen to be part of this 2 ½ day experience in March before the ACPA convention.
The learning outcomes for the summit experience are the following:
- Personalize the process of leadership
- Develop leadership skills for a global community
- Appreciate the differences and challenges across tertiary education on a global scale
- Gain collaborative enhancement skills for building collaboration and teams
- Develop a common understanding and objectives of leadership
- Further develop practical skills and competencies to be an effective leader
- Engage in productive conversations for improving the greater social good on the global level
- Examine personal interests and goals
- Value the process of reflection
- Connect leadership to potential career and future engagement activities
- Increase network of equally well-intentioned individuals across nations
Student leaders who apply must be enrolled in Tertiary education and have been a leader for at least one year on their respective campus. The plan is to have representation from different parts of the world. For the last two years students have represented 12 different countries from most of the IASAS regions.
Students are responsible for cost of travel and accommodations and in the past student affairs and service staff and their respective university have helped students with these costs. Some students also received funding through Student Government and Student Unions on their respective campuses or region. The other costs such as facilitation costs, convention registration to ACPA and food have been covered in the past through donations.
To learn more:
Past Student Leader Global Summit 2017
Applications for the Student Leader Global Summit 2018 will be available early November.